Welcome to my Blog, its a quick way for me to get stuff of my chest, talk about my work as a wedding and portrait photographer, and moan about having to lose some weight. I am rubbish at spelling, so I apologise in advance if some of it doesn't make sense, but being the creative type, grammer never really bothered me.

Thursday, May 29, 2008

ON CAMERA FLASH - Not always a bad thing....



You know how I harp on about off camera flash, how its so much better than just sticking a flashgun on the top of your camera and blasting away. Well I still totally believe that, the best quality lighting can only be acheived by getting your flash off the camera and using some imagination to light a subject. Well sometimes the on camera flash can create some incredibly powerful images and if used creatively can be equally as useful as a strobe on a lightstand.
Today I had the pleasure of photographing a good friend of mine, Chantelle. Chantelle is an aspiring model, with a very striking look, I have worked with her before and I have always be happy with the images we have created. On this occasion I used a bog-standard 580 EX, bounced off the ceiling of my studio, supplemented with a Lastolite Tri-flector placed under the camera. Thats it, as simple as you like.


If you look closely, you can see the distinctive reflections in the eyes created by the Tri-flector, the larger highlight, is simply a reflection of the white painted ceiling in my studio. This effect can easily create simply stunning images, but these particular images are mainly due to the good looks of an incredible model.

No comments: