Welcome to my Blog, its a quick way for me to get stuff of my chest, talk about my work as a wedding and portrait photographer, and moan about having to lose some weight. I am rubbish at spelling, so I apologise in advance if some of it doesn't make sense, but being the creative type, grammer never really bothered me.

Monday, April 30, 2007

Rare Night Out

Anyone who knows me also knows just how much I like good quality music, I love to go and see live bands in concert of all genres but I really appreciate good Jazz played in small clubs and venues.

Saturday night was a rare oppurtunity for Alison and myself to go out, as I am usually working, but I had deliberately kept this weekend free as Curtis Stigers was coming to town and playing in our local flea pit the Palace theatre.

I was never a fan of Curtis in the early nineties when he had a string of rather mediocre hits here in the UK. I think it was his awful hair cut(or lack of it) and his bad collection of waistcoats but he was not for me. I was convinced to go and see him by Alison, as she had not had a night out in ages, I must admit I was really impressed, he is a very talented performer, and supported by some extremely talented musicians he absolutely stunned the audience.

He performed a range of tracks from his back catalogue as well as some of the newer stuff on his latest album, but I was most impressed by his covers, most of which were better than the originals.

Unfortunately photography is not permitted at the palace, so I don't have any images to post, but at least it gave Alison a night away from the camera.

Newark is hosting its annual Jazz Festival in a few weeks, something I am really looking forward too, I will be able to get some great images of the performers as they tour a range of pubs and clubs around town. I can't wait.

No comments: